10.03.2011

Culinary Smackdown: Battle Winter Squash

Oh yes, you are now reading the blog of the reigning Culinary Smackdown champion!  I won Battle Oktoberfest with my Warm German Potato Salad (thanks Mom!) and that means I not only get glory but I get to host and judge the Culinary Smackdown for October!

Over the weekend I mulled over a few ideas for the theme for October's competition.  I considered Battle Scary Food, but that seemed too broad and subjective.  I also considered Battle Pumpkin, but a friend pointed out there may or may not be a canned pumpkin shortage this year, making that theme challenging. 

So I finally settled on a pumpkin-related theme with a slightly broader, more accessible theme.



Battle Winter Squash!

Here are the rules:

1.  Prepare a sweet or savory dish that has an edible winter squash as the main flavor ingredient.

2.  Share at least 1 photo of your completed dish(es) on your blog and include as much description about this dish as you'd like.  You do not need to include an exact recipe--I will trust you on the ingredients--but recipes are always nice in case the readers would like to make it for themselves. 

3.  Creativity will help you stand out from the other entries!

4.  The deadline for sharing your creation is Monday, October 31 at 11:59pm.  I will put up a "host post" here on my blog and on October 31, you will need to come and comment on that blog post with a link to your blog post that contains your Battle Winter Squash entry.  I will choose a winner on Tuesday, November 1!

Want to make something with pumpkin from scratch?  Follow this link to a tutorial on homemade pumpkin puree from Annie's Eats.  

Need some ideas?  Here are a few blog posts that may inspire you:

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte's from Our Share of the Harvest
Butternut Squash and Apple Soup from Simple Bites
Stuff Acorn Squash from The First Mess
Curried Squash and Red Lentil Soup from Shutterbean
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting from Smitten Kitchen

and a few from my own archives:
The Easiest Pumpkin Pie Ever
Pumpkin Cheesecake
Butternut Squash Risotto

Good luck!  I'll be posting some of my own winter squash recipes here and am looking forward to judging the entries at the end of the month!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah!!!! Great theme, Jen! I'll link over at my place later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jen - I didn't know you had won - but it sure doesn't surprise me. You have a talent for creative writing and cooking. Thanks for sharing such fun!- Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your win! I love the winter squash theme, will definitely be participating. Look forward to it, thanks!

    GG

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS on the WIN!!! That's awesome!!! I might even have to try entering a smackdown sometime...sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Jen, congrats on the win! I will be participating...I've been doing the battles for a few years now and always enjoyed it when I had the time! I have an idea for something unusual...this will be an experiment. See you on Halloweenie and thanks for hosting. Oh! And all of youse better watch out, La Diva is IN DA HOUSE! bwahahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad that everyone is back and joining in this time around! Can't wait to contribute and also, guess what awesomely winning potato dish my parents' are taking to a dinner party tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I'm late to the party, but I'll do my best to get an entry up by the weekend. Great choice and congratulations on the win!! (Also late, sigh.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!