5.17.2011

Why I Love Roasting


Lazy* is the word I would use to describe my cooking habits of late.  That is, if I've cooked at all.  We've had Thai carryout, deli sandwiches, pizza delivery, and leftovers for at least a week.  It's been kind of nice, but I've missed the meal planning and thoughtful grocery shopping.  I miss the routine of it all.

I needed to make something that would be a triple threat--taste, texture, aroma--to really drag me back to the kitchen.  It had to be simple and relatively low maintenance which of course brings roasting to mind.  Just today, Adam Roberts had article on reasons everyone should learn to roast a chicken in the Huffington Post.  The best reason:  it's ridiculously easy

I had a few pounds of small Yukon gold potatoes I picked up at Whole Foods this weekend calling to me from the counter to be eaten so I wanted to give them a proper roasting.  After a little research on epicurious, I decided to par-cook them on the stove top and then finish them off in the oven.  The entire process required little attention from me except to drain them and transfer them to a roasting pan before forgetting about them for a half an hour.  And that's why I love roasting--I got to continue my laziness and still eat well.


*Oh, those lazy pups up there?  Those are my dogs, Mia and Murray.  What a pair, eh?

Roasted Potatoes with Dill
recipe liberally adapted from Gourmet December 2001
serves 4-5 as a side dish

The dill took on an unexpected sweetness when tossed with the warm potatoes that Tim and I both really liked.  If you are not a dill person, or you have an abundance of a different herb like basil or parsley, feel free to swap for a similarly leafy herb.  Herbs like thyme and rosemary retain their flavor well in hot temperatures and would be fine to add during the roasting. 

Ingredients
2-3 lbs of small Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
coarse salt & black pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Halve or quarter potatoes to desired size (around 2 inch pieces).  Place potatoes in a pot and add cold, salted water until just submerged.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes or until potatoes are slightly tender but still firm when pierced with a knife.  Drain in a colander and pat dry.

Transfer potatoes to a foil-lined roasting pan.  Toss with 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.  Roast in the middle of the oven, stirring potatoes once during cooking, for about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and toss with remaining olive oil, if needed, and fresh chopped dill.  Adjust salt & pepper to taste.  Serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this use of dill. Now that I have my own herb garden, I'm super excited to try herbs in different dishes. I've never had potatoes like this with dill flavoring. Thanks for posting.

    P.S. I love the pic of MurMur and Miabelle. It's sort of funny that they are below the title about roasting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in exactly the same boat. If I can roast, it, most of the time I will. And then I'll sit with my feet up nursing a glass of wine. NB, just discovered your blog through orangette and have had the most delightful hour with a cup of tea trawling the archives- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori--welcome to the blog and thanks for reading. I assure you that a fellow reader of Orangette is welcome here anytime. I'm a tea drinker myself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!