8.22.2010

Half Bushel of Tomatoes

A few weeks ago I had my name added to a very long wait list for bulk tomatoes from Butterfield Farm Market. The options were a bushel or half bushel.  As the clerk pointed out the container size for a half bushel,  I think she noticed my jaw dropping. 

"A half bushel is plenty," I told her.  "When do I pick it up?"

She kindly explained to me that being on the list doesn't guarantee any tomatoes.  It all depends on the amount of tomatoes available and there were an awful lot of names ahead of me.  I understood--there is never a sure thing when it comes to vegetable plants. I was prepared to be disappointed.

But the call came and my half bushel of tomatoes is ready to pick up.  There is no turning back now on this whole canning thing. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this! i am going to see if the farmer's market near me does this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!